Tuesday, December 18, 2012

December 18, 2012


1. I was very pleased by the beginning of President Obama’s speech on Sunday to the people of Newtown, Conn. In the face of that horrific tragedy, the president referred to and quoted from Scripture extensively. In a time of unspeakable tragedy, it was significant that our president took us to our greatest potential source of comfort. One YouTube post cut that part out—a sure sign that the Judeo-Christian worldview came through.
2. Saturday night, Judy and I took in the Robert E. Lee production of the musical WHITE CHRISTMAS. As a chaser, we watched the Bing Crosby/Danny Kay movie last night. I was surprised that the stage version is so different than the movie version. For example, in the movie, General Waverly leaves the WWII European front because he is being demoted. In the stage version, he has to return to the states to receive an operation on his wounded leg. I liked both, but the movie version lasts only two hours, compared to the stage version’s duration of three hours. If I must vote, therefore, I vote for the stage version.
3. I think the Texas Rangers did the right thing in letting Josh Hamilton go. There is no way the team’s income can support signing him to a contract like the Angels. Having said that, I fear that we will look back on Hamilton’s time with the team as the golden years. I wish they would have won at least one World Series during that time—the window of opportunity has closed.
4. If you want to read a book to help you emotionally understand that beautiful actresses do not have it made, read Portia De Rossi’s book Unbearable Lightness. Tormented by her homosexual feelings and her physical self-loathing, she does a tremendously effective job of communicating her insecurity and fear. Those twin evils fueled her eating disorders and self-destruction. At one point, her weight dropped below 90lbs. (Photos from that time in her life break your heart.) I bet most females in the country reading the book think to themselves, “I’m glad I’m not her.” Remarkable.
5. I know I wrote on this yesterday (http://markedgeremarks.blogspot.com/), but the more I think about Lev. 25 and Deut. 15, the more I am challenged by those two passages.

*Thanks to Peter King for the inspiration for this blog's title.

No comments:

Post a Comment