Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11, 2012


1. I think LeBron James is a lot better guy than I had previously thought. Sports Illustrated
has a terrific article on him in this week’s issue where he is named SPORTSMAN THE YEAR.
 Not only has he financially helped a lot of people, he has given them the gift of his time.
 In addition, he is an extremely intelligent ballplayer; some of his coaches all him a genius.

2. I avoided reading His Excellency George Washington for several years. Recently, I made the decision to give it a shot, and was thoroughly impressed. The historian, Joseph Ellis, author of the Pulitzer prize-winning book Founding Brothers, also wrote this biography. It is short, it holds your attention, and it gives you an effective global view of Washington's life and career. Ellis produces the most balanced view of Washington. He shows him to be a great man, but a man who has weaknesses like all others.
            I have read other books on Washington, including James Thomas Flexner's four-volume biography. However, this work by Ellis is definitely the most enjoyable. If you can only read one book on George Washington, read this one.           
3. I have no desire to see the new movie musical Les Miserables, but I hear the singing is very good. Also, I read that is an unusual film in that the singing was recorded on-location rather than in the studio. I do respect that.
4. I was disappointed in the documentary on former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara. It was called The Fog Of War. I had heard about it for several years. In the film, McNamara recounted some of the reasons why he made the decisions that he made in the Vietnam War. The movie does not offer much new information.
5. That was a gutty win Sunday, Cowboys.


*Thanks to Peter King for the inspiration for this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment