Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012


1. I think changing the value of the dollar is immoral. It is stealing. As our national debt grows, the value of the dollar will inevitably be reduced. It is time we as citizens hold all politicians accountable for spending policies that violate one of the 10 Commandments.
2. I’m praying for the east coast. “Sandy” appears to be a terrible and disruptive storm.
3. I think the San Francisco Giants franchise is the most impressive one I have seen so far this decade in sports. To win with the adversity they have faced, and to have the “common men” outhit the opponents’ superstars is staggering. They are the true definition of "team."
4. I think college education is changing at light speed.
            TIME recently had a good article about this subject. One anecdote concerned an 11-year-old Pakistani girl who was taking a final exam of an online college physics course (yes, physics!)
            The course was offered by a Stanford professor through a private consortium. For this reason, people all over the world had been enrolled in it. During the exam, the Pakistani government closed down all national access to YouTube, which was broadcasting the course.
            Devastated, the girl wrote on her class’s discussion board, “I am very angry, but I will not quit.” Students from all over the world pitched in to help. Ultimately, other students found a way to bypass the government censors and the girl passed her final.
            I found this story insightful, inspirational, and indicational (I made that word up so I could have another one that began with the letter “i”) of the future of education.
5. I don’t like the movie MY FAIR LADY. Through the years, my girls have periodically watched it. Overhearing the musical (I slept through it the first time I tried to watch it) yet again last night, I never cease tiring of it.

*Thanks to Peter King for the inspiration for this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment