Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 16, 2012


1. I think public schools should not force students, who refuse to learn, to stay in the classroom. It is disruptive for the students who desire to learn, impairs the teacher's ability to educate, and ultimately destroys the future of the rebellious student.
            The only hope of impacting the student’s attitude is consequences. Consequences can be very good for the student, and for society.
            Here are some consequences that I propose for students who insist upon disrupting the classroom. Under supervision:
            1) they could engage in community service such as beautification works for the community
            2) they could perform the labor tasks that typical workers do not want to act upon. (One of the reasons we have so many undocumented workers in the United States is because they are doing jobs that people who are American citizens do not want to do.)
            3) place them resurrected vocational programs (Not every child is cut out for college, and many of our trades—such as welding—are in crisis because few people are qualified to work in these fields)
            I propose that students always be given the chance to reenter the classroom. Sometimes the greatest motivation for study is the discovery that one does not want to spend the rest of his life digging ditches.
            Others find motivation in seeking redemption in the classroom. I would not have my doctorate today were it not for the fact that I was seeking redemption in the classroom. I lamented my earlier wasted opportunities.
            This is a more realistic approach when it comes to human nature. Unlike the materialistic philosophy of the federal government's Department of Education, this approach recognizes the spiritual component of training people to be good citizens. It is a win-win: the students become more responsible and we will ultimately produce more students who score higher in the classroom.
2. I think the Dallas Cowboys lack the physical talent and intelligence to be a good football team. When you have an enormous amount of physical talent, you can overcome the stupid mistakes. When you have intelligent football players, you can overcome the lack of physical talent. But when you have a shortage of both, you find yourself 2-3 on the season. These are the realities that Jerry and Jason must address.
3. I think BATMAN BEGINS is one of the best movies of all time. My daughter, Abby, recently gave it to me for my birthday; I watched it again for the umpteenth time. A classic.
4.I just completed the book THE SNOWBALL: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder. Is a good-sized book–over 800 pages–but it reads very well. She offers a fascinating and detailed account of Warren Buffett’s path to riches, within the context his times, life and relationships. Schroeder perhaps offer the best conclusion I have ever read. She is a master at summarizing the events of a person's life and placing them in perspective. I definitely give this biography a thumbs up.
5. Both of the teams I picked to make to the World Series lost last week in the first full round of the baseball playoffs. After seeing the Cardinals against the Nationals, I feel a lot better about the pain I experienced last year watching the Texas Rangers lose the World Series. I don't know who to pick now to win the series, but I'm hoping Detroit does. I like Jim Leyland and I respect Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera.

*Thanks to Peter King for the inspiration for this blog's title.

No comments:

Post a Comment