Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 15, 2012


1. I think President Obama has achieved a feat I had never previously thought possible. With his statement supporting gay marriage, he has evidently inspired millions of Catholics and evangelicals to passionately support—a Mormon for president.
            Some folks have sent or forwarded several interesting items to me since the President’s pronouncement. Here are a couple: http://danbouchelle.blogspot.com/2012/05/plea-to-christians-about-our-response.html
             The different writers I have read do not necessarily agree on everything, but they have been thought provoking in their words.
            I’ve got friends who plan on voting for the Democrats (most oppose gay marriage), friends who plan to vote for the Republicans (need I say how they feel about gay marriage?), and friends who plan to not vote (most oppose gay marriage); I love them all, and this year should prove interesting to our nation.
            At the end of the day, I think I join President Lincoln’s sentiments… if I may paraphrase: I am not so concerned about God being on my side; rather, my concern is that I am on God’s side.
            God is at work. He has got a lot to do. I want to join Jesus in being about the Father's business.
2. I found out a there is a lot of debate out there as to whether or not Abraham Lincoln said these words. About.com says the two earliest quotes that come closest were quoted by Rev. Matthew Simpson at a funeral service for Lincoln on May 4, 1865:
To a minister who said he hoped the Lord was on our side, he replied that it gave him no concern whether the Lord was on our side or not "For," he added, "I know the Lord is always on the side of right;" and with deep feeling added, "But God is my witness that it is my constant anxiety and prayer that both myself and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
            and from Francis B. Carpenter's 1867 book, Six Months at the White House with Abraham Lincoln, page 282: No nobler reply ever fell from the lips of a ruler, than that uttered by President Lincoln in response to the clergyman who ventured to say, in his presence, that he hoped "the Lord was on our side."
3. Judy, Haleigh, Abby, and I just completed watching the movie THE LIGHTKEEPERS. This was a classic case of a movie that probably looked good on paper but was poorly transformed to the screen. Richard Dreyfuss and Blythe Danner starred in this film about two men who hate women and keep a lighthouse going on Cape Cod in 1912.
            Richard Dreyfuss, in an interview, had a different take. To hear him talk about it, you would have thought these two guys saved the world for democracy before Woodrow Wilson.
            The movie was clean, and I cannot remember a bad word. Moreover, the scenery was nice.
            Sadly, did you catch the phrase “just completed” in the first sentence of number 3? That is because it took us several nights to watch the movie: we kept falling asleep.
            In other movie news, my daughter Abby recently read the novel THE NATURAL for school. We then watched the movie together. I have never read the book, so I found it interesting that she claims the novel is much darker and cynical than the movie.
4. I’ve got another book to recommend from my prep work for “Seven Life-Affirming Virtues" and the 7 deadly sins. This one is entitled GLITTERING VICES by Rebecca Konyndyk DeYoung.  
5. I heard an interesting quote last week from ESPN’s Tony Kornheiser, “Football is over as we know it.” On the heels of the tragic suicide of Junior Seau, Kornheiser was addressing the immense problem the NFL is dealing with concerning concussions.
            He compared football to boxing, which at one time was America’s most popular sport. Today, boxing is way down the list of well-liked sports.
            The popularity of football, Kornheiser says, may descend slowly. However, it has peaked. It's arc will steadily decline.


*Thanks to Peter King for the inspiration for this blog's title.



No comments:

Post a Comment