Tuesday, March 6, 2012


 (With a nod to Peter King for this idea)
1. I was sad to see that former Monkey Davy Jones died suddenly last week. I grew up watching (periodically) TV episodes of THE MONKEYS. I always enjoyed their music more. Compared to other rock bands, there always seemed to be a sweetness and an innocence to the group.
            Quite possibly, Davy Jones’ status as an icon will remain because of the famous BRADY BUNCH episode, in which he appeared, where Marcia Brady (Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!) asked him to her prom.
            I read last week that was the most downloaded TV episode in history.
2. I remember watching the New Orleans Saints’ defense savage Brett Favre in the NFC championship game two years ago. I could not help but think they were coached to play dirty. Now, I know they were. I would love to see former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams suspended for and entire season. There is no place for bounties in the NFL.
3. More on the Josh Hamilton situation. I consider Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford to be tremendous role models. But I still think Josh Hamilton is one as well.
            It is a hard thing to get through life without making a mistake. It is a hard thing to get through life without making several mistakes. It is a hard thing to get through life without making some major mistakes.
            What I appreciate about Josh Hamilton is: when he makes a mistake, he steps up and confesses it. He does not try to cover it up, and he tries to live out the fruit of repentance.
           Our society seems to have an ability to forgive those who come clean on their mistakes and sins. And that is a good thing.
4. Watching all of the recent brouhaha about government spending makes me wonder if the national divide is so great, our only hope is for the federal government to not fund—anything. 
            Okay, that’s probably not realistic. Still, no one likes the way the money is being spent. You have liberal versus conservative; religious versus secular… the divide grows wider. Moreover, what are the spiritual considerations for federal spending? What are the moral underpinnings?
            I hate to write this. Everybody has something he likes when it comes to federal government spending, and everybody has something he despises.
            I like national parks, federal highways (interstates), etc. as much as anybody. I thrilled watching humans walk on the moon, but what we are doing is clearly not working. Meanwhile, our nation sinks deeper and deeper into debt.
            There is an old saying—all politics is local. Perhaps the more local the spending—the better.
5. Friday afternoon, six freshman Harding students left their Searcy campus in two vehicles to spend Spring Break in Ft. Worth. About 6:30 that evening, they were involved in a chain reaction wreck on I 30 outside of Hooks, Texas.
            Five of the students were treated and released from a local hospital. Ty Osman was hurt critically. While checking on a lady in another vehicle, he was attempting to get back into his pickup when someone hit it. Ty was thrown several feet in the air before landing.
            He was airlifted to Good Shepherd Hospital in Longview, Texas. He never regained consciousness, dying early Sunday morning.
            My daughter Haleigh, a Harding student, was acquainted with these students and left approximately the same time they did. She took a different route after reaching Texarkana. Still, this hits so close to home.
            During this tragedy, I frankly did not find myself asking the question—why? Rather, considering the millions of students who travel in our country during spring break, and allowing for the millions of variables involved, I frankly began to wonder why tragedies such as this do not occur more often. I am thankful they do not.
            My heart has been aching for Ty’s family. Yet, I know they have been strengthened by the knowledge that Ty was a faithful disciple of Jesus. Surely that understanding brings great solace.
            Please pray for Ty’s family and for his friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment