Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27, 2012


1. How could I not help but appreciate OCTOBER BABY. It was professionally done. The acting was high quality. The cinematography was excellent.
            If you have not heard, the main character is a young woman, who discovers that she was adopted—after her birth mother tried to abort her. Without giving away too much on the plot, the film offers struggle, realistic outcomes (not all is “happily ever after”), pain, redemption, and forgiveness.
            I appreciate the way young woman’s friends and loved ones desired to help her get to the place she needed to be. However, you sometimes have to let a person go and hope she will get there herself. People need time to process. That is real life.
            I don’t know if OCTOBER BABY is playing in a theater near you. If so, I encourage you to go.
2. I heard on a secular radio station this morning that since the year 2000, all churches in the United States have shrunk in number. This comes as no surprise. I was surprised to learn that the amount of mosques built in the United States since the year 2000 have doubled.
            Now, it is tempting to say something snarky and funny here, or to be sarcastic and ironic. I am going to take the high road, which makes what I am thinking even more difficult to contemplate.
            I wonder to what extent the growth of Islam in the United States is due to an unspoken recognition that since 9/11, those of the Islamic faith have taken a risk to be part of that religion. Muslims have been particularly marginalized in the U.S. since September 2001. The fact that they're willing to risk pain and suffering, and allow themselves to be placed in the margin, has impressed a sufficient amount of people to encourage their religion to grow here.
            I wonder how many of us in the Christian faith are willing to experience this as well. It might be fewer than I would hope. This might explain why rather than growing, all churches are shrinking in numbers.
            Humans, including we Christians, want to experience the good life. Many say that Christianity is headed for persecution in the U. S. I don’t want that, but could be this will be the only way the Kingdom will grow.
3. I love it that Roger Goodell was so tough on the New Orleans Saints. He had to be. I consider this to be the equivalent of Judge Landis' banishing from baseball nine members of the Chicago “Black” Socks, who threw the 1919 World Series.
            I also recall reading about NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle’s suspension of Paul Horning and Alex Karras from the National Football League for the entire 1962 season. In both of those cases, much good was done in curtailing gambling.
            I think the same will be the case with regard to offering bounties to players for putting their opponents out of football games. Sean Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis, and defensive coordinator Greg Williams were guilty of making a grave mistake.
            Hindsight is always 20/20, but I remember watching the 2010 NFC championship game between Minnesota and New Orleans and having the distinct feeling that New Orleans was playing dirty with Brett Favre.
            I blame Williams most for this scandal. I would not have considered Goodell to have been out of line if he had suspended Williams for life. Having said all of this, I do appreciate the way Sean Payton has responded to the suspension so far.
4. The Denver Broncos are wise to sign Peyton Manning. I am not so sure that Peyton Manning selected the best team for his talents; indeed, I think San Francisco is clearly the better team. I sense that Manning intuitively realized that he is a better fit with a weaker team and a defensive minded head coach, then a stronger team and an offensive minded head coach. John Fox will leave Manning alone.  Manning will have much more input, much less friction, and much more chemistry with the Broncos. Kudos to Manning.
   As one who is fascinated by Tim Tebow, I must admit I'm looking forward to his season with the New York Jets. I think he handled his press conference extremely well yesterday. He showed the proper amount of humility, kindness, and competitive spirit. In no way did he come across as calculating or lacking integrity. I wish him the very best in New York. I heard this morning on the radio that not only is he one of the most marketable athletes in America, he is one of the most marketable people in America. Only Oprah, Princes Kate, and Adele pass him in marketability. Amazing.
5. I am happy to see the Baylor Bear girls go to the Final Four. I was disappointed slightly to see the Boys team lose so badly to Kentucky. Still, Kentucky may very well win it all and it is no disgrace to lose to such a fine collection of athletes. I am picking Baylor to win the girls tournament. In the men's Final Four, I pick Louisville in an upset over Kentucky, and Ohio State to triumph over Kansas. By this time next week, Louisville will be the National Champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment